Wishing you always...Walls for the wind, a roof for the rain and tea beside the fire. Laughter to cheer you, those you love near you, and all that your heart may desire ~ An Irish Blessing

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Painted China



I know how much fun I had just coloring in the Rose of Sharon at the top of this poem with my watercolor pencils; how much more delight the china painters must have when they create such delicate and exquisite designs on their porcelain.
Imagine, having quiet hours in the morning after breakfast or solitary hours in the afternoon to sit alone at the work table, brush in hand and a palate of rose and sage and buttermilk.
“And what shall I paint this morning, the cluster blooms of the Lady Banks Rose crowning the arbor?”
I have a passion, many say obsession, for china. I want my china plates and tea cups to be beautiful and I want some in every pattern, a new pattern everyday. I do not want to hide them behind cupboard doors or in the back of the pantry. I want to see them and admire them; to me they are art. And yes, I do have plates hanging on my walls, even in my bathroom.
None of my dear old aunts painted china. My grandmother was an artist and several others in the family had (have) artistic talents so we all came to appreciate such beauty even as we did not create it ourselves.
And now I have the opportunity to learn this Victorian era past time, right now in fact, as there are several artists from the China Painters of Tidewater in the museum’s master bedchamber and nursery demonstrating their craft and skill for our visitors. From my third floor office I can hear chatter and laughter from the ladies and guests below.
Suzie Tuberson has agreed to teach me how to paint holly, a favorite design of mine. She, and the others, assures me that I (and you) need not be artists in order to paint beautiful porcelain.
When Suzie first approached me with the idea of an exhibit/special event with the museum, I immediately thought of tea cups and saucers and plates. I did not consider larger paintings on tiles or portraits and lamps. I have seen some amazing pieces in the last two weeks.

No comments: